Saturday, June 27, 2009

Crazy Caitlin Fact: How I learned to spell.

Once upon a time, as luck would have it, I was born.
Yes. Yes, it's true. My karma was just -that- good from the start.

So I was born, and born to two people I'll call Freda and Mo.
Freda and Mo were (and still are) my Parents, and like all good parents they decided that education was a key part to a happy and successful life.
Soooo...they home-schooled me.

Some cry foul, some cheer; either way the deed was done and many a strange and wonderful thing came from that decision.
One of those things?

The way I learned to spell.

Spelling is a funny thing, especially when you speak the English language.
We have this amazing mixture of words we just decided to borrow from all other languages.

"Beauchamp? Sounds complex and unnecessary. Sweet. We'll take it!"

Take for instance the word Bologna (of all the dumb...mmph!) . Who exactly was head of the spelling department at the Butchers shop?
.......................................................................................................................
"Well uh, -we- pronounce it
'Ba-low-nee' ...but uh, this is the best spelling job we could come up with at the time.
(awkward pause)
It was late."

.......................................................................................................................

How can you spell that word and -not- think to yourself "Ba-log-nah"?
Insanity dear friends. Prue and unbridled in form and notion.


But back to my Education...

It was different. I learned a lot on my own.
And because my parents kept a decently sized library containing many classics, I found myself at age 11 reading more Austen than Amelia Badilia.

The result? British spelling system.
I swear, I was nearly 14 when I realized the proper American spelling of color contained no "u".
Of course it didn't hurt any then but now I find it hilarious.
Because you see, the great irony was that at the same time I was spelling color the proper English way and understanding terms like "fortnight" and "3 and 20", I was still spelling Honey the Winnie the Pooh way.
Yes. Hunny.


Anyway I did eventually figure out the heresy, and further understood that Winnie the Pooh was not a reference to be trusted when it came to literacy.

It was a sad day.

I mean you grow up with these people...practically blood...and to find out they've be leading you astray the whole time? Heartbreaking.

I got over it eventually, and I am proud to say I can now spell pretty darn well.
"Tore" still gives me a bit of trouble now and then...(pathetic isn't it?)
I seriously never have to use that word, but when I do it's a guaranteed brain trip.
Thirty seconds of frenzied self denial;

"I know how to spell that word...there's a "u" in there somewhere right? Right? There's got to be. It does sound a little British to me..."

No comments: