Monday, May 25, 2009

Movie Reveiw: Sherlock Holmes

Reviewing movie trailers. Something new I thought I'd try.
And what better movie to review than the new take on an old classic?
~~~
Sherlock Holmes.
~~~
I was so happy when I heard they'd be making a film based on the iconic character.
And Robert Downey Jr?
A strange choice but he's a great actor in his own right.

So harboring all the excitement that had been mounting since the day I first heard, I got my first glimpse today.

I could not look away...

...it was that disappointing.



My first and most hardy protest:
Rachel McAdam's Character.
Why?
WHY?!
Must we always have a sassy slut of a Hollywood portrayal in the stead of a perfectly good, well drawn out, and *gasp* complex female character?
(Sidenote: I have no hate for the Actress herself, I just find her character to be annoyingly misinterpreted and obnoxiously unnecessary.)

Also:
Can we not just forgo with the cheesy lines?
I'd rather watch half an hour of Mr. Holmes shooting himself up, than suffer through half a minute of the inevitable banter he and Ms. Adler will no doubt spew in an attempt to create tension and chemistry. Not to mention all the snippety lines Jude Law's Watson has the potential to share.

"Whoa ho!" you say.
"You haven't even seen it yet. You can't judge it by the trailer alone."
Oh but I can. And in all honesty, that's sort of the whole point of a movie trailer.
A clever device used to convince the greater public that this is the type of film they want to see before the film is even released.

*sigh* I -really- want to like this.
I really do.
But I'm not sure it will let me.

Anyway, I'll probably see it.
That's all they care about in the end.
If we'll pay or not.
I might.
I've seen much worse.

My closing thought: How long will we have to wait until Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is given cinematic justice?

No comments: