Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Lessons in "Creative License": Or How I Realized I Loved Self-Publishing


 A picture is worth a thousand words...and not one of those words found in the picture below belong to me.

{Most of the original artwork has been obscured}

What you are looking at is the talent of an unknown individual with whom I frequent the same campus and apparently likewise enjoy the varied facets of the Arts. Said person's talent was (in my opinion) badly paired with a short piece of prose I submitted to be published in our school literary journal. Badly paired I would say because it is obvious that the sentiment of the piece was completely misunderstood by the powers-that-be on that obviously overworked, underpaid, and slightly depressed committee.
The piece in question:

"I sit here waiting for Inspiration...
...while Inspiration sits somewhere waiting for me."


Now I understand how there might have been a slight snafu...but surely when in doubt we should err on the side of light-hearted and not morose sentiment?
For the record, this little thought was penned in a moment of frustration with my frequent bouts of writers block. Not, as the school committee would have you believe, in response to the knowledge that my middle school boyfriend dumped me for his cousin. It was meant as an encouragement. Inspiration for myself especially not to let time go by waiting for something to happen; something is happening, we just need to do our part and show up.

To the Artist, if you ever read this, this slightly miffed rant is in no way directed towards you. I actually like your style, and if it wasn't so completely off base with the message I was trying to convey, I'd gladly welcome the association (on that note, I wonder how you took the pairing...?).

No, my beef is with the folks who have (however unintentionally) mislead the twelve total people who will clap eyes on my humble submission in the journal; misrepresenting a sentiment I think a lot of people would do well to hear. Thanks for the laughs and the lesson on the meaning of "Creative License".
*tips hat* It's been a gas.

No comments: